How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey_ JD Your Own Question
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27492
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Zoey_ JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Im trying to find out if i am able to own a gun in wiscons

Customer Question

Im trying to find out if i am able to own a gun in wisconsin
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 2 years ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am an experienced criminal lawyer. Thanks for requesting me.
Why do you think you might not be able to own a gun? Use the reply tab below to respond.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I had a 947.01 Disorderly Conduct(973.055 Domestic Abuse Assessments) on 10-23-2008
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 2 years ago.
Unfortunately, no, you cannot purchase a gun. A conviction for a misdemeanor domestic violence offense will cost you your state and Federal gun rights.
Under the Lautenberg Amendment, the Federal bar is for life. However, if you can get your conviction expunged or pardoned, the Federal government says it will release its hold.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
thats what i thought, the problem with that is I turned 26 thirteen days prior to the conviction
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 2 years ago.
Yes, and Wisconsin's the state with the Governor that is refusing to grant pardons. Unfortunately, that means you'll have to wait until the next governor takes office and apply for a pardon, assuming his policies will be different from the current one.
I'm very sorry not to have better news for you.