Criminal Law

Can I posess a firearm if I have completed the defered adjudication…

Can I posess a firearm...
Can I posess a firearm if I have completed the defered adjudication for a class A misdemeanor in Texas. It was deadly conduct.... Read full answer
Can I posess a firearm if I have completed the defered adjudication for a class A misdemeanor in Texas. It was deadly conduct.
4/14/2015
P. Simmons, Lawyer
Hi, My name is Philip. I am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.
A misdemeanor is not generally a problem for firearm possession...however, it COULD be if it was charged as a domestic violence offense...can you tell me, is that the case? Was this charged as a domestic violence offense?
Initial charge was. Then class A misdemeanor with deadly conduct. Took deferred
Thanks
If you went through a deferred adjudication? And you completed all the requirements? I would expect the court to have dismissed the charge.
The purpose of a deferred adjudication...if you complete the requirements you avoid the conviction.
So if this happened? If the conviction was deferred? It will not be on your record.
And if there is no conviction? You have no worries...there is nothing preventing you from possessing a firearm.
I would contact the court (the court that took your plea) and verify that there is no conviction...when they tell you that there is no conviction? You are free to possess a firearm
Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.
Thank you very much. Do I ask if my conviction has been set aside?
You can simply ask IF you have a conviction. The answer SHOULD be no. That is the reason you take the deal - to prevent the conviction. If you took the deal and did your part, I would fully expect the court to set aside the charge and no conviction be entered.
Please let me know if you have more questions. Happy to help if I can.
P. Simmons, Lawyer
Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
Id like to know what is my best option to seal or expunge my
Hello, Id like to know what is my best option to seal or expunge my background. … read more
Andres Sanchez
Andres Sanchez
I have 3 charges. 2 POM and an Assault all misdemeanors but
I have 3 charges. 2 POM and an Assault all misdemeanors but a few years ago I had an assault with deadly weapon felony charge that got dropped down to a misdemeanor and later dismissed. With all this … read more
James Daloisio
James Daloisio
Attorney,
After successfully completing a 1 year deferred adjudication
After successfully completing a 1 year deferred adjudication and probation, can a class A misdemeanor in Texas (for drug possession) charge be expunged? … read more
Lawyer,
Stop searching for answers—
What is the range of penalties (monetary and jail time) for
What is the range of penalties (monetary and jail time) for a conviction of … read more
James Daloisio
James Daloisio
Attorney,
I want to purchase a firearm, but 26 years ago I had a
I want to purchase a firearm, but 26 years ago I had a felony for possession of a controlled substance. I finished deferred adjudication on that case. Also about 15 years ago I had two misdemeanor ass… read more
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD
I was arrested for felony family violence in Texas. It pled
I was arrested for felony family violence in Texas. It pled guilty to misdemeanor assault w/family violence stipulation and was on probation. I have completed all of my court-ordered requirements and … read more
Counselor at Law,
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
In 2004 i was charged with a misdemeanor of domestic violence
in 2004 i was charged with a misdemeanor of domestic violence because police came out to my wife and my apartment at the time. she was never hit by me and i took deferred adjudication sentence. consid… read more
Legal-Kal
Legal-Kal
Attorney,
I'm in the state of Texas and I have a question about
Hi, I'm in the state of Texas and I have a question about expunction and non-disclosures of criminal records. Here's my situation. In Jan 2014, I was arrested for soliciting prostitution. I went to co… read more
Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq
26 years ago, I was under a charge of a felony, burglary of
26 years ago, I was under a charge of a felony, burglary of a motor vehicle ,but the court authorized the state to prosecute the case as A misdemeanor(Texas Penal Code12.44(B). Given deferred adjudica… read more
From Texas have a felony conviction it was deferred adjudication.
From Texas have a felony conviction it was deferred adjudication. I have been off probation for over 10 years. I have purchased several guns and been approved. I recently applied for a concealed handg… read more
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B.
am I eligible to buy a firearm in the state of Texas if I had
am I eligible to buy a firearm in the state of Texas if I had a deferred adjudication case over 10 years old aggravated assault with a deadly weapon… read more
My husband was charged with ABI-FM a class A misdemeanor in
My husband was charged with ABI-FM a class A misdemeanor in 2009. His only offence ever. Is he still legally allowed to purchase/carry a firearm in Texas?… read more
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B.
Stop searching for answers—
In 1999 I received deferred adjudication for injury to disabled
In 1999 I received deferred adjudication for injury to disabled (state jail felony). I fulfilled the requirements for probation and was discharged in 2003(?). I was interested in purchasing a weapon f… read more
Chris T., JD
Chris T., JD
Lawyer,
My name is XXXXX XXXXX is in regards XXXXX XXXXX purchase
My name is XXXXX XXXXX is in regards XXXXX XXXXX purchase and ownership. I was arrested in 06/2009 for assault causes bodily injury to a family member. I pleaded no-contest and was sentenced to 20 mon… read more
Litigation Attorney,
I was arrested in Feb. 2007. I was given probation for 18 months
I was arrested in Feb. 2007. I was given probation for 18 months and Had to complete anger management. I completed both I was told I Will get derfered adjudication and it will not be on my record. I f… read more
Counselor at Law,
I would like to know if Texas Penal Code 22.05(C) is a
I would like to know if Texas Penal Code 22.05(C) is a misdemenor or felony. I would also like to know if Texas Penal Code 22.05(D) is a misdemenor or felony. Thank you… read more
Joseph
Joseph
Attorney at Law,
In the state of Texas, if one was placed on Community Supervision,
In the state of Texas, if one was placed on Community Supervision, even though a guilty verdict was not entered (for a charge of Theft), can the record be expunged. I understand this is not possible, … read more
Jack R.
Jack R.
Partner,
can i get deferred adjudication for a class c misdemeanor for
can i get deferred adjudication for a class c misdemeanor for public intoxication in dallas, TX… read more
MShore Law
MShore Law