Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

is it illegal to use a roulette computer to predict the outcome

Customer Question

is it illegal to use a roulette computer to predict the outcome up a roulette spin in Louisiana
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Ely replied 3 years ago.
Hello friend. My name is Ely, and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (1) this is general information only, not legal advice, and, (2) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my reply.

Do you mean in a casino?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes, in a live casino. I know they will frown upon it if I am caught using and devise to help my chances of wining. But I want know if I will be in legal trouble. The devise only help to predict and outcome. If doesn't influence the outcome.

Expert:  Ely replied 3 years ago.
Thank you.

You understand that by entering the casino, one agrees to abide by the rules. This means no cheating or "helping" devices. If they catch someone doing this, this individual maybe (civilly) banned for years or life and/or sued, and/or, (criminally) charged.

Now, is using this machine a criminal offence?

Yes.

Under RS 14:67.18:

It shall be unlawful for any person who by any trick or sleight of hand performance, or by fraud or fraudulent scheme, cards, dice, or device, for himself or another, wins or attempts to win money or property or a combination thereof, or reduces a losing wager or attempts to reduce a losing wager, increases a winning wager or attempts to increase a winning wager in connection with gaming operations.

While originally meant for street hustlers, it has been used to prosecute individuals who use unauthorized devices in Louisiana casinos as well.

Please, be careful when making such decisions.

Please note: I aim to give you genuine information and not necessarily to tell you only what you wish to hear. Please, rate me on the quality of my information and do not punish me for my honesty. I understand that hearing things less than optimal is not easy, and I empathize.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the reply button to keep chatting, or please rate and submit your rating when we are finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith.