How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Samuel II Your Own Question
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27011
Experience:  Handle criminal matters in both state and federal courts.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Samuel II is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my daughter now 23 years old informed, a close friend of my

This answer was rated:

my daughter now 23 years old informed, a close friend of my family 32 years old male had multiple sexual contact with her when she was 15 years old.She was afraid to tell me and my wife. Can we report to local police? Would it be considered "statutary rape?

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to discussing this and providing you information in this regard.

Please clarify for me - are you saying your daughter Consented to having sex with this man? Or he was forcing her to have sex with him? Was it actual intercourse or touching, please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It was actual multiple intercourse. It seems by cohersion, manipulation leading to consentual.intercourse. She was fifteen years old when this started continued for more than a year.


I see.

Thank you for that information.

I suggest that it would not be "statutory rape" as that is when the minor gives consent even though they are not of age to legally consent.

And in your case there was no consent.

I suggest that it seems you have a basis to go forward with criminal charges and it is something you should seriously consider discussing with the District Attorney. While there are no statute of limitations in these matters, the DA will still want to decide if prosecution is appropriate as if there were no witnesses and no police reports filed, then it may require them investigating and trying to get this man to Confess to his actions otherwise it is her word against his.

So, I suggest you should consider discussing with the DA who can sort out all the facts and matters and decide to move forward or not.

I am sorry your daughter has endured this crime.

I hope that this information is helpful. If you need further information, please just send me a reply asking for clarification. After that, I hope you will enter a positive rating so that I will be credited for assisting you. Thanks again for using this service. Your business is appreciated
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Does my daughter have to go to the local police station and report to the police officer first and then report to the DA?


I suggest because of the time lapse the police may be a bit inept. So if she talks directly to someone in the DA's office, a prosecutor or member of the victim/witness unit, they will begin an invesitgation.
Samuel II and 4 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hello Mr. Samuel, i corresponded with you few days ago regarding my daughter. I have a wuestion. The man's wife wants to talk with me and my wife regardin this matter. She has come to know about her husnand's action. Should we meet with her?


That's entitrely up to you. I suggest that there is no way you or your daughter or family can be charged or held responsible for anything that the man did.

I suggest that in speaking with her, you do not have to answer any questions that you feel uncomfortable with.

It may get uncomfortable if this wife is going to try to make it appear that your daughter at her young age somehow enticed this man into these acts. And, of course, that may be what she will do because she will want to somehow justifty these acts by her husband - who I'm sure in her mind would not do this

So you need to be prepared for that.

I cannot tell you to talk or not talk to her. But it seems odd that she is making a request of this nature at this time.

Perhaps, consider talking to the DA because there may be a reason they have that this should not be discussed

Related Criminal Law Questions