How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jack R. Your Own Question
Jack R.
Jack R., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 6147
Experience:  OHIO//Texas Attorney Civil/Crimnal Practice
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Jack R. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

About a week ago I received a letter from a detective working

This answer was rated:

About a week ago I received a letter from a detective working for the police department of a city about 30 miles away. The letter was a request that I contact a particular detective with regards XXXXX XXXXX criminal matter. I complied with the request and contacted the detective who informed me that earlier this year during the month of February a felony was committed and the act was recorded by a surveillance system. Two suspects can be seen in the recording and they are using a motor vehicle which the police had determined is registered to me. The police also determined that neither of the suspects shown in the video are me. Now I believe that the detective is probably 90% correct in assuming that I can identify the suspects in the video. Of course over the phone I was unable to provide any information that could help with their investigation simply because this crime occurred around 10 months ago. At this point it is the goal of the detective to show me this video so I can see and hopefully identify the people committing the crime. So this is my situation. I'm afraid I would be able to identify the people in the video. I do not want to lie and I have no criminal record. Is there any legal way out of this situation for me? If not, what is the way out with the least amount of damage to myself and those in the video ?

Thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will assist you today.


I know you don't want to assist the officers. Keep in mind that your vehicle was used in the commission of a serious crime. If the officers want to play hardball they can charge you with obstruction of justice, or perhaps as an accessory to the crime.


If the police feel strongly enough they can execute a material witness warrant where they can take you into custody. The amount of pressure they exert is directly related to the severity of the crime.


From the California Penal Code:


CAL. PEN. CODE § 881 : California Code - Section 881


(a)If a witness, required to enter into an undertaking to appear and testify, either with or without sureties, refuses compliance with the order for that purpose, the magistrate shall commit him or her to prison until he or she complies or is legally discharged.


Please accept my answer with a rating of 3 or better so I may get credit for my response. If you have follow up questions please ask. Please note that paying the deposit does not cause funds to be disbursed until you rate my response (3 or greater).

Jack R. and 5 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Criminal Law Questions