How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Nate Your Own Question
Nate, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 10686
Experience:  Over 10 years of criminal defense practice.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Nate is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

after someone is arrested for abuse in the state of

This answer was rated:

after someone is arrested for sexual abuse in the state of nj can the victim do anything to drop the charges?
My name isXXXXX have been a licensed attorney for over ten years and will be assisting you today.

The prosecution is entirely in the hands of the state after charges are filed. That said, the alleged victim needs to communicate to the DA the lack of desire to prosecute, and the reason. In most cases, the state will cease prosecution without a willing victim. However, if the prosecutor thinks the victim is pressured, they will choose to try to prosecute anyway.

If you have more questions please feel free to ask. I'll be happy to answer them. If you do not, please do remember to rate my service in assistance to you today.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i did tell the DA i did not want to continue but she kept postponing our meetings, they arrested him today. i just want to know if there is anything i can do to get him out

You need to explain how you were mistaken and had some reason for the allegations (there was fight, you were unhappy with the relationship, etc.). The more you are unwilling to prosecute, the more likely the charges will be dismissed.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

does it matter that i was a minor and it was my stepfather, i didnt want him to go to jail because of my little sister

That makes things even more difficult. You'd need to communicate with the prosecutor why you made a false allegation and that you don't want to prosecute. That's all you can do at this point.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

would i get punish for saying that i made false allegations (which isnt true)

Yes, you can be prosecuted for filing a false report. Though it is rare for the state to pursue that, it would likely result in probation for you if they did.
Nate and other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Criminal Law Questions