Roger, Lawyer
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

I recently found out I have a felony warranty for a non-violent

I recently found out I have a felony warranty for a non-violent crime. I am going to turn myself in. I have been told I will be held in jail until I have a hearing. I need a public defender. I asume I should ask for one at the hearing. My question is what happens at this first hearing? Will I be asked to plead guilty or not guilty? Will my plea affect if I am released on bond? It is in Franklin County Ohio.

Roger :

Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a Criminal Law litigation attorney. Thanks for your question. I'll be glad to assist.

Roger :

Once you turn yourself in, you often can get a judge to set you a bond so you can go in, be booked, bond out and be allowed to go home.

Roger :

If you hire an attorney, he/she can probably schedule this for you so you know what's going to happen before you go in.

Customer:

I was picked up in another county. The judge orfered me to go to Franklin County. I already posted bond and he said he would trandfer the bond. My question is will I have to plead guilty or not-guilty at this first hearing. Is that when I am given a public defender?

Roger :

Ok. Thanks.

Roger :

Yes, you will have to enter a plea at the preliminary hearing - - also called an arraignment.

Roger :

The judge will accept your plea and then set the matter for trial.

Roger :

You can change your plea, enter into a plea agreement, etc. after that. This is just a preliminary plea.

Customer:

Do I go to the court or the sheriff to turn myself in?

Roger :

Yeah - - you can do that.

Customer:

Which? Courthouse or the sheriff dept?

Roger :

Sheriff's department - - sorry.

Customer:

If I plead guilty is there still a trail?

Roger :

No, if you were to plead guilty, there would be no need for a trial - - just a sentencing hearing.

Customer:

I want the court to appoint an attorney for me as I cannot afford one. I want to get probation, and need legal advise to know how to acheive that. If I plead guilty am I giving up that chance to negotiate for probation?

Roger :

Yes, if you plead guilty at the arraignment, then you're giving up all rights to negotiate.

Roger :

You're better off to plead not guilty, have the judge appoint you an attorney and then you and that attorney can negotiate with the prosecutor.