How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jack R. Your Own Question
Jack R.
Jack R., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 6147
Experience:  OHIO//Texas Attorney Civil/Crimnal Practice
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Jack R. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my nephew was arrested in Georgia for unlawfully discharging

This answer was rated:

my nephew was arrested in Georgia for unlawfully discharging a firearm into some ones house what will he be charged with

Thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will assist you today.


Your nephew was probably charged with the following:


O.C.G.A.§ 16-11-104
Discharge of firearms on property of another


(a) It shall be unlawful for any person to fire or discharge a firearm on the property of another person, firm, or corporation without having first obtained permission from the owner or lessee of the property. This Code section shall not apply to:

(1) Persons who fire or discharge a firearm in defense of person or property; and

(2) Law enforcement officers.

(b) Any person who violates subsection (a) of this Code section is guilty of a misdemeanor.


The potential penalty for a misdemeanor in Georgia is a fine not to exceed $1,000.00 or by confinement in the county or other jail, county correctional institution, or such other places as counties may provide for maintenance of county inmates, for a total term not to exceed 12 months, or both:


The above represents maximum penalties. depending on the circumstance a court could reduce the fine and order probation in lieu of jail time. You should also check with the prosecutor to see if a diversion or deferred adjudication is available. This may be possible if your nephew is a first time offender.


Under a deferred adjudication the court will institute community service or other punishment and at the end of the deferred period provided your nephew has not committed any additional offense the charge is dropped.


You should obtain local counsel to help work out a plea deal with the prosecutor.


Please accept my answer with a rating of 3 or better so I may get credit for my response. If you have follow up questions please ask. Please note that paying the deposit does not cause funds to be disbursed until you rate my response (3 or greater).


Jack R. and other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you