Roger, Lawyer
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

Hello, I just had my ex arrested for computer harassment.

I just had my ex arrested for computer harassment. I received my subpoena several days ago, but when I checked online there was a motion hearing scheduled on a different day and I am very worried. Will I be notified and asked to attend? Will the Commonwealth Attorney pursue me for evidence or should I call them? What is likely going to happen, will I not be allowed to testify or will they drop the case? Thanks!

Roger : Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a Criminal Law litigation attorney. Thanks for your question. I'll be glad to assist.
Roger : If you received a subpoena, you must appear on the time and date indicated.
Roger : The motion hearing could be something else that isn't related to the need for your testimony.
Roger : The subpoena means that a party plans to call you as a witness. It certainly may be that you aren't actually called to testify in court - - but they likely want you there nonetheless and just in case you are needed to testify.
Roger : However, if you haven't been subpoenaed to appear at the hearing, then there is no requirement that you be there.
Roger : It is likely a good idea to call the attorney and inform him/her that you have received the summons and that you will be there; you can also ask whether or not they need anything from you and whether you need to appear at any other hearing.
Customer:

Thank you. I called them but a specific one had not been assigned. It now moved up a whole month. What is the chance of them dropping the case without even seeing my evidence?

Roger : It's not very likely at all that they'd drop the case.
Roger : They are going to want to review the evidence and evaluate the charge before anything like that would be considered.
Customer:

Ok thanks. It was very hard to get someone interested in my case so I wasn't very confident.

Roger : No problem.
Roger : Prosecutor's offices are extremely under-manned, so it often takes a while for cases to process.