How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask P. Simmons Your Own Question
P. Simmons
P. Simmons, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 35015
Experience:  16 yrs. of experience including criminal law.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
P. Simmons is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We recently hired an individual to fabricate an iron front

This answer was rated:

We recently hired an individual to fabricate an iron front gate for us, and paid him $1500 of the $3000 total fee for him to start work. That was 3 months ago and it's now become obvious that he has no intention of doing the work and has pocketed the $1500. Other than small claims court, do we have any other recourse? Is this theft?
Hi, My name is Philip. I am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

It may well be theft.

The problem you face is you must convince the prosecutor to bring charges.

And what you describe? It is not likely going to happen. That is, it is unlikely that a prosecutor will bring criminal charges in a case like this and will, instead, tell you that you can use the civil courts system for recourse.

This is because the county prosecutor has "discretion'. They have the final say on if they will prosecute a case or not.

Under Texas law, there a variety of ways that a prosecutor can use to prove theft...but each revolve around proof of the "mens rea" or intent required. Theft is a specific intent crime. In order to convict, the prosecutor must prove, beyond a reasonable doubt, that the defendant intended to deprive the victim of their property permanently.

What you describe, it sounds like you had an agreement for this person to perform work.

And that he never performed the work.

But to prove theft, the prosecutor must present evidence to prove that this person not only did not do the work when promised (that is not criminal theft) but that when they entered into the agreement they intended to never perform the work at all.

Unless you have other victims who have suffered similarly, or unless there is evidence to prove that this person clearly entered into the agreement never intending to do any work, the prosecutor is not going to bring this to trial

BotXXXXX XXXXXne: You clearly have a small claims case. But I suspect you have an uphill battle to convince the prosecutor to take the case.

All that said, you can certainly report this to law enforcement and request that they bring charges.

Let me know if you have more questions, happy to help if I can

P. Simmons and other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you