How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 118780
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I received two checks which were 1 returned for NSF and the

This answer was rated:

I received two checks which were 1 returned for NSF and the other with a stop payment. My bank charged $90.00 in fees for these two checks. The person who wrote the checks lives in Lake County, IL what can I do to get the money that is owed to me?
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Under IL law, you need to send the party a letter demanding payment for the checks plus bank fees within 7 days of receipt of your letter. It must be sent certified mail with return receipt and keep a copy of the letter. In the letter you inform them that failure to make payment will result in you filing charges with the state's attorney for issuing bad checks and criminal charges that can result in prison time. If they fail to make good on the checks within the time specified, you take your copy of your letter with the return receipt card proving it was delivered to the state attorney's office and file criminal charges against them for issuing bad checks.

Your alternative is to file a civil suit in small claims but you have to do so in Lake County where the defendant lives and you can seek repayment for the checks, plus any costs and fees and the cost of filing in small claims court.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

This is NOT the practice of law nor is it legal advice to you, it is merely educational information for you to use to seek out a licensed attorney in your state to get actual legal advice from them. Please use sites such as or or to find a local attorney to get actual legal advice in all matters.
Law Educator, Esq. and other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you