How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 118087
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I recently found that my brother in law is on the maryland

This answer was rated:

I recently found that my brother in law is on the maryland sex offender website. It was for sexual abuse of a minor. He was charged as an adult and convicted 10 years later when he was an adult. He claims that he himself was also a minor at the time. Is it possible to be charged as an adult if you were a minor when the crime was committed. Also, i received the police report and the victims (whom is no longer a minor) name and info is redacted, but not his! Would they also redact his info if he was a minor at the time? Thanks.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Unfortunately, the MD law is harsh in that they require registration of all offenders including juvenile offenders and even though he was a juvenile when the offense was committed, he was not tried and convicted until he was an adult and the juvenile laws or courts have no jurisdiction once an offender is over the age of majority. Thus, I am afraid that your brother in law's only chance is to try to seek the court to vacate the guilty verdict based on him being a youthful offender, which is rarely done by the court.

The victim's name on all sex offense report is not public information, but unfortunately the defendant's name is XXXXX XXXXX and will remain on the registry list unless he can convince a court to vacate.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

This is NOT the practice of law nor is it legal advice to you, it is merely educational information for you to use to seek out a licensed attorney in your state to get actual legal advice from them. Please use sites such as or or to find a local attorney to get actual legal advice in all matters.
Law Educator, Esq. and other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you