How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 118763
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My friend works for a school district on an Indian reservation

This answer was rated:

My friend works for a school district on an Indian reservation and was accused of selling drugs. No evidence to support the claim, only the word of a student. He made a deal to be under house arrest while the investigation was ongoing to keep his job. Now the case has been turned over to the Federal Prosecutor's office because the alleged crime happened on Tribal land. He has been questioned by the FBI and DEA who have concluded that the county prosecutor should be brought up on charges of prosecutorial misconduct and abuse of power, but the federal prosecutor is backlogged because of the government shut down and won't dismiss the charges until they have a chance to look it over. Friend continues to be under house arrest indefinitely. How long can they continue to hold him until they get around to looking at his case?
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Please keep in mind that we do not make up the laws on this site, we simply provide information about them and in many instances people come to us already being told about their situation and hope there may be something more. In some cases there may be and other cases there not be any alternatives.

If his lawyer is already trying to get the US Attorney's Office to move faster, the only other thing his attorney can do is file a petition for writ of mandamus, which is known as an extraordinary writ to the federal court demanding the release of someone who is now being held without any legal cause or justification. This is up to his attorney to consider filing and for his attorney to evaluate as to whether or not this would be granted any faster than the US Attorney finally making a determination in his case. However, based on what you are saying above, it seems the petition for writ of mandamus would be something to consider to get released from the house arrest.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

This is NOT the practice of law nor is it legal advice to you, it is merely educational information for you to use to seek out a licensed attorney in your state to get actual legal advice from them. Please use sites such as or or to find a local attorney to get actual legal advice in all matters.
Law Educator, Esq. and other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you