How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 102356
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 17 year old son received 3 tickets 1 for failure to signal

This answer was rated:

My 17 year old son received 3 tickets 1 for failure to signal 2 for tobacco possesion and 3 for minor visible intoxicated / BAC more than .02% 1st offense. Do we need to appear in court or pay the tickets or what . State of Missouri.
Hello friend. My name is XXXXX XXXXX welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (1) this is general information only, not legal advice, and, (2) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my reply.

I am very sorry for your son's situation.

Can you please tell me if this is his first offense, or, has he gotten into trouble before?

Also, is this matter in JUVENILE AND FAMILY court, or not?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

This is his first offense, no prior traffic tickets. No it is not in juvenile or traffic court.

Thank you.

Please understand that if he simply pays the ticket, he is pleading guilty by default. This is not recommended. In addition, he may not even have that option. This is a serious charge, at least, the intoxication. An offender of this section may have to pay up to $1000 in fines and may face up to 1 year in jail. Mo. Rev. Stat. § 311.325.1 and § 577.001.

Tobacco possession and and failure to signal are more minor matters.

Nevertheless, one may wish to retain counsel who is then likely to negotiate a plea deal with the prosecutor some kind of deferment sentence or plea deal that may not even involve a conviction for the intoxication, and the rest dropped. May I recommend the Missouri Bar referral program - here. The attorneys are vetted and qualified. You should be able to find an attorney you are confident with and whom you can trust, and who is available ASAP.

However, this should not be approached without counsel, and simply paying a ticket (if that is even an option) may result in a conviction. This is not recommended.

Please note: I aim to give you genuine information and not necessarily to tell you only what you wish to hear. Please, rate me on the quality of my information and do not punish me for my honesty. I understand that hearing things less than optimal is not easy, and I empathize.

Gentle Reminder: Use the reply button to keep chatting, or please rate and submit your rating when we are finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correctt. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith.
Ely and 4 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you