Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Experience:  Numerous criminal trials ranging from traffic to murder, practicing Criminal Law for 20+ years.
11068102

A young man was on probation for burgalry in Texas. After

A young man was on probation for burgalry in Texas. After serving for over a year in one correctional facility or another, he was placed on probation. He had to see his probation officer, go to classes, and some other such. Basically homeless, he went to a half-sister's near Fort Worth. Either she drove him to his commitments or he drove himself when a car was available. He got a part-time job. He lost his job because he lost the use of a car. HE also missed one meeting or class he had to attend. His probation officer and a court clerk said he had to be detained in a correctional facility and then attend some school for incarcerated youth for three months. He has been in jail for one month and has not been given the opportunity to get to the classes. No one answers his questions. He cannot get to a lawyer because he does not have the money to make a call. Are there not public defenders in Texas? Wouldn't he be assigned one if there are such?

Dwayne B. :

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification.

Dwayne B. :

In most counties there is not a Public Defenders office. Instead the courts use private attorneys who are on a court appointed list to defend people who don't have the funds to hire an attorney.

Dwayne B. :

He can send a "kite" from the jail asking for a court appointed attorney for his case.

Customer:

And what is "kite"?

Dwayne B. :

A kite is just a letter from the jail to the judge or someone else official. He needs to ask for the forms necessary to get a court appointed attorney.

Customer:

Thanks

Dwayne B. :

You're welcome. Anything else I can answer for you before I exit to help others?

Customer:

The young man in question states that he can only speak to one guard who will not answer his questions. I am in California. He is in Texas. How would he "kite" from a non-responsive guard?

Dwayne B. :

He can send a letter if he has paper. It doesn't have to be any specific form. He can write the letter to the judge, fold it over and put To and From on the back of it. The jail will deliver and ask for mail periodically or have a place where he can deposit it.

Customer:

Thank you.

Dwayne B. :

You're very welcome.

Dwayne B. :

Best wishes to you and and the young man. Please don't forget to leave a Positive Rating (of course I’d suggest Excellent!) so I get credit for my work.

Dwayne B. :

I'll exit now to assist others.

Thank you very much for the Positive Rating. Please come back and visit us if you have any new questions and feel free to ask for me by placing “FOR DWAYNE B” in the subject line or as the first words of your question and I will pick up as soon as I see it.

Also, I’d ask you to consider issuing a high rating (9-10) when you receive your customer satisfaction survey as that ensures I can continue to assist people in this category.