Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

My son of 25 years has a bench warrant for his arrest for not

showing up in court and...
My son of 25 years has a bench warrant for his arrest for not showing up in court and not finishing his community service for a minor traffic violation here in Sag harbor New york.
Is there a possibility that they will send him to jail when he shows up for a new court date in two days?
Thanks,
Roby braun
11/9/2013
Roger, Lawyer

Roger : Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a litigation attorney. Thanks for your question. I'll be glad to assist.
Roger : It i certainly possible that the judge could put him in jail for contempt of court (failing to appear and failing to complete his probation), but that is not extremely likely given that this stems from a minor traffic offense.
Roger, Lawyer
He could be charged with criminal contempt, which can be charged as a second degree offense - - which is a class a misdemeanor.
Roger, Lawyer