How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 31733
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

When I was 17 a friend altered my birth certificate to make

This answer was rated:

When I was 17 a friend altered my birth certificate to make it appear that I was 18 so I could get a drivers license. My husband was in the military and I needed to drive when he was out to sea. That was 45 years ago and now I need to get a passport, but my drivers license and birth certificate date of birth are not the same. I have no police or criminal record, but I am fearful of going to the Washington state DOL to ask for a correction on my license. What should I do?

Roger : Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a litigation attorney. Thanks for your question. I'll be glad to assist.
Roger : This should not be a real big issue so long as your original birth certificate is correct. You would likely need to get a certified copy of your birth certificate from the state and use that to make the change to your license.
Roger : The reason for the error could be a simple clerical error that occurred along the way - - so you wouldn't have to admit to this occurring.

Yes, I got a certified birth certificate.

Roger : Ok. In that case, it shouldn't be a complicated matter. You would just present your birth certificate to the DOL, bring the incorrect birth date to their attention and ask that they issue a new license.

So what should I do?


So they will not bring charges?

Roger : The statute of limitations has likely long since passed for something that occurred 45 years ago.
Roger : Also, you don't have to admit to any wrongdoing.
Roger : All you have to do is say that your birthday is XXXXX and ask that you be issued a new license to reflect the correct date of birth.

I thought so too, but I was hoping an attorney would know for sure.

Roger : All criminal charges in Washington State have a 2-5 year statute of limitations (, so you're way past that.
Roger : Some felony charges have longer statutes of limitation, but they're not applicable to yo.

OK thanks. I will go to DOL and ask for a new license. I'm still a little nervous, but I will go.

Roger : I understand that you're nervous, but there should be nothing to worry about. It's not likely that they'll even question you about the errror.
Roger : *error.

I will do the rating.

Roger and 4 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you