How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey_ JD Your Own Question
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27471
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Zoey_ JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I applied for a concealed weapons carry permit in Las Vegas

Customer Question

I applied for a concealed weapons carry permit in Las Vegas Nevada Metro Police Department on 10/16/2013.
I received a letter today 11/02/2013 from Nevada Department of Public Safety, dated 10/23/2013. It states that I have been convicted of a crime against a child as defined in NRS 179D.210 and/or of a sex offense as defined in NRS 179D.410.

I have never been convicted of such, nor appeared before a judge or court for such offences. Neither have I been arrested for an offense of such as stated above.

I had an "SO", live in girlfriend years ago, whose ex-husband was always accusing me of sexually assaulting his and my girl friends young daughter.

I took a lie detector test once through CPS and was informed that I had an irregular heartbeat and therefore not testable. Nothing else
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 3 years ago.

My name is Fran, and I am an experienced criminal lawyer.

You need to get yourself a criminal lawyer ASAP to try to sort this out for you and to put the police on hold. You could try to do this for yourself, but it will take much longer and the police are not likely to cooperate or believe you than you will their lawyer.

It often happens that someone may have a name the same or similiar to yours or gave your name as an alias to avoid an arrest and that sometimes an innocent person finds out that there's a record for an offense that he never committed. If you have no criminal convictions, this should be easy enough to prove with a lawyer, your fingerprints and photo, and the prosecutor who supposedly convicted you of this crime.

If you have no convictions, you don't have to register, so once official proof of the former is obtained, the prosecutor can see to it that the police leave you alone from here.