How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 117375
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello, Cedric. I found your answers are very helpful so I decided

Customer Question

Hello, Cedric. I found your answers are very helpful so I decided to ask you a question too. About reducing my court fines. State seized all my money except leaving $10,000 to me and my new born baby. There are too many to pay for with a new born and the money is almost gone. My court fine is $8900 and I'm paying $85/month. The court did not sent my husband's fine amount to us since he is not yet released. I think his fines are most likely higher than mine. We both lose our jobs because of this case(we're on the same case). I think the fines are set too high since the state seized our money and we're unemployed. Is there a way to reduce our court fines? Also, we did not have public defenders cause we pay for a private attorney. We don't have more money to pay her now so she stop helping us. Can we have a public defender to help us? And how? Thank you in advance.
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

The only way to get the fines decreased I am afraid would be you have to file a motion for post conviction relief and go before the court to prove the fines are creating significant financial hardship and are excessive considering the offense and ask the court to reduce them. It is not something the courts do willingly most times and you are going to have to have an attorney to increase your chances of success to prove that the fines realistically will not be able to be paid.

You can go to the public defender's office and present evidence you qualify and you will be assigned a PD for the motion hearing.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

This is NOT the practice of law nor is it legal advice to you, it is merely educational information for you to use to seek out a licensed attorney in your state to get actual legal advice from them. Please use sites such as or or to find a local attorney to get actual legal advice in all matters.