How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 116740
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What do I do now? Have I inadvertently committed extortion?

This answer was rated:

What do I do now? Have I inadvertently committed extortion? I was terminated unjustly from my positon as therapist in nv at a healthcare clinic. They kept twenty five hundred dollars of my personal therapy equipment, which they said they would return to me. They returned a small part of it,but kept the rest under lock and key. I called and told them that unless they returned the rest of my property, I could file criminal charges for theft and that because of the amount, it was a felony. I told them that I preferred to do things peacefully, but that I would use the full extent of the law if necessary. An attorney in employment law said that if I threaten criminal prosecution, it was extortion. Is it? and they hav just called to offer me a return of the equipment tomorrow, Monday. If I received the property do I make matters wors?
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

It is not extortion for you to demand your property back and to threaten to take actions you have a legal right to take. They have no right to hold your equipment and if they refuse to do so you are correct that it is a theft and it can also be grounds to sue them for the civil tort of conversion and also replevin (return of your property).

It is NOT extortion and I disagree with the person who told you that if the employer is illegally holding your property and you are threatening to take an action you have a legal right to take. Furthermore, you are not demanding anything of value from the employer, you are demanding return of your own property.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

This is NOT the practice of law nor is it legal advice to you, it is merely educational information for you to use to seek out a licensed attorney in your state to get actual legal advice from them. Please use sites such as or or to find a local attorney to get actual legal advice in all matters.
Law Educator, Esq. and 5 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Oh thank God, picturing myself doing therapy in prison in orange jumpsuit. OMG. Thank you for relieving my mind. This outfit has broken many laws andI've worked for them for one and a half mongths. I am truing to protect myself and didn't think I was committing any crimes. They have lots of lawuers, had me sign a host of legal papers after enticing me from Colorado to nv. They hire therapists from all over the country and will not hire from nv, as I think they are getting well known for their practices. But their reputation for being avove the lawis expanding across country. A contract agency in fla saide that one of her employess worked at the same clinic and was told that the clinic practiced as if it were above the law.So, anyway, to get back my property, they pve offered for me to meet them at the storage facility. Should I get a police standby or ..should I just presume they are sincere. They person that called me a trut above al others at that facility.

Thank you for your response.

You cannot threaten to take action that is unlawful to coerce someone to act. This is your property that they have no right to hold your property. You should presume they are sincere for now the police will not show up to assist unless you believe there will be a disturbance of the peace in recovering your property. If you believe there will be a problem in recovering your property then you would be able to have the police come to assist.
Law Educator, Esq. and 5 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you again. The good news...I have my property back.

Thank you. That is GREAT NEWS!!!! I am glad it went well.
Law Educator, Esq. and 5 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you