How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 117370
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I been charge for first time with theft3 ,and also have a citation

Customer Question

I been charge for first time with theft3 ,and also have a citation for 1000.00 dollars and court day.I have three option 1 enter a plea of no contest and pay the court the amount .2 enter a plea of no contest and send a letter of explanation.3 enter a plea of not guilty and regrets a trail.I am 50 years old ,never been in any kind of problem ,I am so scared,worry and sick ,I don't know what I have to do. Is very important this charges not go on my record.I don't know why I did it ,in case it make any different I was on very strong pain medication .please help me I am so scar.
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

If you enter a plea, this is a misdemeanor criminal offense and a no contest plea would be a conviction. I would suggest to you that you need to get an attorney, since it is a criminal offense and you have a legal entitlement to an attorney. Thus, get an attorney because the medication is a very good defense to these charges and it is likely that your attorney will be able to get the prosecutor to dismiss the charges. Even at the very worst there is a good possibility as a first offender the prosecutor will agree to a deferred sentence where they give you probation and if you do not commit any more offenses in 12 months they will dismiss the charges and your record would be cleared.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

This is NOT the practice of law nor is it legal advice to you, it is merely educational information for you to use to seek out a licensed attorney in your state to get actual legal advice from them. Please use sites such as or or to find a local attorney to get actual legal advice in all matters.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your bad feedback.

Unfortunately, we have no way to know what more you want unless you ask. We are sorry you are in the situation you are in, but you have a legal basis to fight here and keep your record clear and we sincerely XXXXX XXXXX bad feedback of us for telling you that. You have a legal right to an attorney, you do not have to pay for one, the court must appoint a public defender for you and you can avail yourself of that and you have the defense that most prosecutors will give you some deal on to dismiss the charges.

Good luck to you.

Related Criminal Law Questions