Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

POLICE MISCONDUCT. BEAT MY SON

Customer Question
MY SON VINCENT WHO IS...

MY SON VINCENT WHO IS ONLY 22 YEARS OF AGE. WAS BEATEN UNCONSCIOUS BY FOUR BOUNCERS AT A BAR NAME CHADS, IN BACK OF THE PARKING LOT. SOME OF THE GROWN BIG MEN WERE BOUNCERS FROM ANOTHER BAR NAME MURREYS. ALL OF THEM WHERE ON THE CLOCK AND OUT OF THEIR DIRESTICTION WHEN THIS BEATING TOOK PLACE. SOMEONE CALLED POLICE. THEY ARRIVED WHEN MY SON WAS STILL UNCONSCIOUS. MY OTHER SON NAME MANUEL ORTIZ WAS TRYING TO WAKE HIS YOUNGER BROTHER UP, WHICH HE THOUGHT WAS DEAD. THE CROWD AROUND THEM WERE LAUGHING AND TAUNTING VINCENT BECAUSE HE WAS KNOCKED OUT. SO MY SON TOLD THE CROWD TO SHUT THE F&%K UP.AFTER THAT THE POLICE FROM BIGBEAR SHERIFF STATION ARRESTED MY SON MANUEL. JUST AS MY SON VINCENT WOKE UP FROM UNCONSCIOUS. HE WAS ALSO ARRESTED. THEY ARESSTED MY SON VINCENT BECAUSE A GIRL WHO WAS WITH THE CHADS CROWD ACCUSSED VINCENT OF HITTING HER. WHICH WAS FALSE. THE POLICE HANDCUFFED VINCENT AND PUT HIM IN THE POLICE CAR WHILE HE WAS BLEEDING, AND BEATEN THE HELL UP. THEY SHOULD OF CALLED FOR A AMBULANCE FOR HIS HEAD INJURIES. INSTEAD HE AND MY SON MANUEL WERE THE ONLY TWO LATINOS THAT WERE ARRESTED. THE CROWD THAT BEAT VINCENT WERE NOT ARRESTED, DUE TO THE FACT THEY ARE CAUCASION. THEN VINCENT TOLD THE POLICE HE WANTED TO PRESS CHARGES ON THE PEOPLE THAT BEAT HIM. THE POLICE SAID NO CAUSE HE HIT A GIRL. POLICE TOOK VINCENT TO THE HOSPITAL AND THEN TO JAIL. HE WAS CITED AND RELEASED THE NEXT DAY. I WROTE A LETTER OF COMPLAINT TO INTERNAL AFFAIRS ABOUT THE INCIDENT. MY SON VINCENT IS ONLY 22. NOW HE HAS SEVERE ANXIETY, DEPRESSION AND CAN NOT SLEEP EVERY NIGHT. HIS BACK HURTS HIM ON A CONSTANT BASIS. I WANT TO SUE BOTH BARS AND THE SHERIFFS OF BIG BEAR FOR WHAT THEY DID TO HIM!! THE SHERIFFS FROM BIG BEAR ARE RACIST AS WELL! THEY COULD HAVE KILLED MY SON. LATER THAT WEEK. VINCENT AND I SPOKE TO SERGEANT AND TOLD US IT WAS JUST A MISDAMETER FOR WHAT THAY DID TO VINCENT. I KNOW ITS A FELONY ATTEMPTED MURDER SOUNDS ABOUT RIGHT TO ME! THANK YOU VALENTINE ORTIZ VUCETICH, VINCENTS MOTHER. PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF I HAVE A CASE.

Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/3/2013
Criminal Lawyer: LawHelpNow, Attorney/Lawyer replied 4 years ago
LawHelpNow
LawHelpNow, Attorney/Lawyer

Hello Valentine,

My name isXXXXX am a licensed attorney and am glad to try and answer your question.

I am honestly sorry for your son's circumstances and commend you for wanting to help.

Accordingly, I'm pleased to say there is a solution here. Based on your description of events, the most likely causes of action would be for both state law torts (against the bouncers and their employers) as well as a federal civil rights case (against law enforcement) pursuant to 42 U.S.C. § 1983. To see if your son has viable grounds for filing suit, he must have his case screened on the merits by a plaintiffs' trial attorney. If an attorney accepts the case pursuant to the customary contingency fee agreement there would be no up-front charges to your son. Rather, his legal counsel would only get paid out of the proceeds of a verdict or settlement if he or she were successful in obtaining a favorable outcome and winning the case on your son's behalf.

This can only be done through having a lawyer review your circumstances, meaning it cannot be done in this online informational venue. In other words, you have done all you can do, your next step at this juncture is to confer with legal counsel, but the good news is that process is entirely free of charge to you. I can only imagine what a stressful and trying time this is for you, so please believe me I mean it when I say I am glad to say there is a way to seek justice without having the burden of trying to pay attorneys' fees .

To help folks in this online venue, I am required to follow site rules including refraining from accepting cases and/or making direct referrals to named attorneys. However, I can tell you where I would turn were I in your very shoes. Toward that end, my very next step would be to take advantage of the resources of the non-profit, American Bar Association accredited, National Board of Trial Advocacy Division of the National Board of Legal Specialty Certification. Here is a listing of all such Board Certified Civil Trial Advocates practicing in the applicable jurisdiction (please just click the following link):

California

If you have a follow-up question or need clarification, please just say the word by using "reply" to reach me.

I truly hope all works out for your son.

Take care,

Ben, J.D.,

LawHelpNow
LawHelpNow
LawHelpNow, Attorney/Lawyer