How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 116727
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

For a class 3 misdemeanor in Virginia, there is a fine but

This answer was rated:

For a class 3 misdemeanor in Virginia, there is a fine but no jail time. After the fine is paid, does the misdemeanor stay on your record for life or is there any way to have it removed?
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Yes, for a class 3 or class 4 misdemeanor in VA, even though there is only a fine and no jail time, it still counts on your criminal record as a misdemeanor conviction and has to be disclosed to employers and whoever asks. The conviction stays on your record and is not removed.

The only way to do anything would be to seek to get your attorney to ask the court to vacate the conviction and dismiss the charge and expunge the record.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

This is NOT the practice of law nor is it legal advice to you, it is merely educational information for you to use to seek out a licensed attorney in your state to get actual legal advice from them. Please use sites such as or or to find a local attorney to get actual legal advice in all matters.
Law Educator, Esq. and other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
So the choice is to fight it in front of a judge or avoid that by paying the fine but getting it on your record.
Thank you for your response.

The choice is 1) try to make a deal with the Commonwealth Attorney who can agree to dismiss the case as a deferred adjudication where you pay the fine and if you have no further violations in 60 days they can dismiss the charges completely, or 2) go to trial with the judge to try to get it dismissed or found not guilty or 3) pay the fine and have it on your permanent record.

Related Criminal Law Questions