Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

For a class 3 misdemeanor in Virginia, there is a fine but

no jail time. After the...
For a class 3 misdemeanor in Virginia, there is a fine but no jail time. After the fine is paid, does the misdemeanor stay on your record for life or is there any way to have it removed?
11/2/2013
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Yes, for a class 3 or class 4 misdemeanor in VA, even though there is only a fine and no jail time, it still counts on your criminal record as a misdemeanor conviction and has to be disclosed to employers and whoever asks. The conviction stays on your record and is not removed.

The only way to do anything would be to seek to get your attorney to ask the court to vacate the conviction and dismiss the charge and expunge the record.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

This is NOT the practice of law nor is it legal advice to you, it is merely educational information for you to use to seek out a licensed attorney in your state to get actual legal advice from them. Please use sites such as http://www.martindale.com or http://www.lexmundi.com or http://www.hg.org to find a local attorney to get actual legal advice in all matters.
So the choice is to fight it in front of a judge or avoid that by paying the fine but getting it on your record.
Thank you for your response.

The choice is 1) try to make a deal with the Commonwealth Attorney who can agree to dismiss the case as a deferred adjudication where you pay the fine and if you have no further violations in 60 days they can dismiss the charges completely, or 2) go to trial with the judge to try to get it dismissed or found not guilty or 3) pay the fine and have it on your permanent record.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer