Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

Are the police permitted to question an inpatient while he/she

is under hospital care?...
Are the police permitted to question an inpatient while he/she is under hospital care?
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/2/2013
Nate, Lawyer
My name isXXXXX have been a licensed attorney for over ten years and will be assisting you today.

That depends on a few factors.

1) What is the person in the hospital for?

2) What interest do the police have in speaking with the person? and

3) Have the doctors medically cleared him/her to speak to the police?

Let me know the above and I will respond right away.

Thanks!

Hi Nate,

This miserable excuse of a human being is in the hospital for illegal dog fighting and was injured by one of the fighter dogs.

In that case, there is no reason the police cannot speak to the person.

He can refuse to speak to them if he so chooses, but the police can question him as long as the stresses of their questioning would not detrimentally affect his health according to the treating physician. It doesn't sound like that would be the case here.

If you have more questions please feel free to ask. I'll be happy to answer them. If you do not, please do remember to rate my service in assistance to you today.

Thanks!
Nate, Lawyer
Nate, Lawyer