How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey_ JD Your Own Question
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27749
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Zoey_ JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

if your drivers license is revolked, forever in ill. from dui

This answer was rated:

if your drivers license is revolked, forever in ill. from dui (s) is there any state i could go/move to, and get a frivers license???

Hi Jacustomer,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a criminal lawyer.

I wish that I could tell you otherwise, but the days of having your license permanently revoked in one state and obtaining a license in another are pretty much over.

All but 5 states belong to a special agreement called the Interstate Driver's Compact, in which they have each pledged to handle a sister state's suspensions as if it were their own. Compact states reach out to all other compact states and let them know immediately about suspensions and convictions. Each will honor the Illinois revocation. As for the other states that haven't been directly told about your lifetime suspensions, which are MI, WI, MT, AK and OR, these can find the information for themselves in the national data base, which they would do by running your history before they issue you the license. Additionally, you are required to state on a license application for every state whether you have ever had a suspension. Lying about that is a felony and does get prosecuted if they double--check, which these days they almost always do.

The answer, unfortunately is to apply for a non-driver's ID for identification purposes for now and to try with a lawyer, to petition for some restricted driving privileges again, which might work, particularly if you have given it enough time so that you can establish a record of consistent sobriety and can demonstrate some real hardship.

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news and would ask you not to shoot the messenger.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ill. does not have a program, or etc.. for hardship driving...NONE

is there any states that do have hardship for forever/revolked people???

Hi Andrew,

I wish I could tell you otherwise, but like I have said, every state will honor IL's suspension. Until IL clears your driving privileges, there is nothing you can do (short of perjuring yourself on an application which I do not recommend) to drive anywhere in the US or in its territories.

There's movement to make the law less restrictive in Ilinois, which is why I told you that down the road when you can demonstrate a clear pattern of sobriety, you might be able to get the authorities to bend. But right now, there's really nothing you can safely do in order to get a license.
Zoey_ JD and other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you