How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CrimDefense Your Own Question
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27622
Experience:  10+ years defending Misdemeanor and Felony cases.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
CrimDefense is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello, this crime took place in Louisiana. Okay, a couple of

This answer was rated:

Hello, this crime took place in Louisiana. Okay, a couple of days ago, I was apprehended for shoplifting at Walmart. It was a dumb mistake and I regret ever doing it, much like everyone who has ever been caught shoplifting. I was brought into the office and police were called. They read me my rights and gave me a summons for shoplifting in about a month.

I'm extremely concerned because in March of 2013, I was with a group of old friends and one of them happened to shoplift and leave the store. The police apprehended us all and my friend was brought back to the store, identified as the thief, and banned from the store (after signing paperwork saying he would not return). However, we all were given tickets of petty theft because we were considered accomplices. In the end, we just paid the ticket.

Now I'm concerned about what my options are. How do I go about settling this ?
Will this be brought up when I go to court ? Will I still be able to get a plea bargain such as 6 months probation ? I'm currently a student at a University and I'm not sure how to handle all of this. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.

Good afternoon. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. If you want to resolve this and not go to trial, you can certainly ask for a plea offer, when you appear in court. The prosecution has an obligation to perform their due diligence and check the system to see your criminal history, prior to making any offers. Unless you are asked by the Judge, you have no obligation to voluntarily disclose this. Even if they were to see this, I do not think they would seek any jail time. The reason being, is that this is a non-violent crime and if anything, they would look to impose probation, before jail. In addition, there would be a fine, court costs and you not being allowed to return to the store. The goal is to try and keep your record as clean as possible, so you may want to see if the court offers any type of diversion program that you can enter into, to get this dismissed as well.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.
CrimDefense and 6 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you