Nate, Lawyer
Experience:  Over 10 years of criminal defense practice.
11217539

I was detained yesterday (October 26th) for attempting to steal

I was detained yesterday (October 26th) for attempting to steal $80 from Wal-Mart. They made me sign a form that says I could not return to Wal-Mart for a year and then they called the police. The police gave me a citation for theft shoplifting. I then felt awful about what I did and typed up a few thoughts that I was going to confess to the assistant manager at Wal-Mart, whom I called to a set up a meeting with. He said that I am allowed to meet with him at Wal-Mart. I am hoping to convince him to drop the charges, is this a smart lawful move?
My name isXXXXX have been a licensed attorney for over ten years and will be assisting you today.

It certainly cannot hurt.

The worst is already happening. You've been banned and you are charged. In many cases, large retailers are not interesting in wasting employee time in court. Meeting with the manager, expressing regret, and apologizing may convince him not to bother to prosecute, which is obviously a good thing.

I see no downside to meeting with him if he'll take the time. Just be sincere.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So I will not have to worry about witness tampering?

That's not witness tampering. Witness tampering requires some sort of intimidation or force. You're asking, not forcing.