How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Nate Your Own Question
Nate, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 10686
Experience:  Over 10 years of criminal defense practice.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Nate is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son (now 50) was falsely accused 25 years ago of road rage

This answer was rated:

My son (now 50) was falsely accused 25 years ago of road rage assault. The accuser never showed up at the court hearing at the time and the case was dropped. The bonding company returned the security. When he submitted gun permit application few months ago he was denied based on " no disposition available". Had no idea why it was not done 25 years ago in Thousand Oaks in the courtroom.
My name isXXXXX have been a licensed attorney for over ten years and will be assisting you today.

Sometimes these things happen. There is a process so they can be corrected.

The first thing he needs to do is go to the court clerk where this happened and request a certified copy of dismissal, or a certified copy of no record found. With that, he then needs to file an appeal concerning this entry in the FBI's NCIC database.

Instructions on how to initiate the appeal can be found here

The process can take some time, and they don't typically make it easy. If you start running into bureaucratic roadblocks and delays, I suggest you contact your congressional representative and ask a caseworker for help to deal with the FBI.

If you have more questions please feel free to ask. I'll be happy to answer them. If you do not, please do remember to rate my service in assistance to you today.

Nate and other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you