How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Nate Your Own Question
Nate, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 10686
Experience:  Over 10 years of criminal defense practice.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Nate is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Dear Sir or Madame: I would like to have my arrest sealed

This answer was rated:

Dear Sir or Madame:
I would like to have my arrest sealed and destroyed from an arrest in 1978. The DoJ has a delay on a firearm permit. Can you assist me? Ray Mapstead
My name isXXXXX have been a licensed attorney for over ten years and will be assisting you today.

If you never went to court or pleaded guilty, what is the reason being given for not granting the request for a permit and what kind of permit are you requesting?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The DoJ will not give specific reason for the delay on my permit. The permit in question is a standard DROS permit to purchase and own a firearm in the State if California. The only information the DoJ would give me was the year of the arrest. I went to the arresting agency (San Bernardino County Sheriffs office and got a copy of my arrest record. It shows the arrest date of 10/07/1978 but no case number. Also it shows my DUI arrest on 10/20/2001 which I performed all steps and had the DUI with a closed disposition. The DUI is not the problem. I also went to the Superior court and received a certification of no record. So there was never a court case docket generated. I also contacted the DA's office they do not have record of the case.
In that case, it appears the FBI's NCIC database is in error. That does happen from time to time.

You need to get the transaction number from the state's inquiry with the NCIC database. You'll need that to appeal the erroneous information.

Instructions on how to initiate the appeal can be found here

The process can take some time, and they don't typically make it easy. If you start running into bureaucratic roadblocks and delays, I suggest you contact your congressional representative and ask a caseworker for help to deal with the FBI.

If you have more questions please feel free to ask. I'll be happy to answer them. If you do not, please do remember to rate my service in assistance to you today.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Nate: I just read the requirements for appealing the delay. Do I need a livescan done to send in with the appeal?
You would use the fingerprint card found here

Just have a local police precinct administer the fingerprinting.
Nate and 6 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you