How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 117401
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My daughters father named, Ed, was in a medical facility about

This answer was rated:

My daughter's father named, Ed, was in a medical facility about a year ago recovering from a attempted suicide. While at the facility during this very distressing period of time, Ed apparently was so distressed about his situation that he confided in one of his healthcare assistants to take all his personal property. Ed's sister somehow found out about this and questioned him regarding Ed's property. This person, (his name is Josh) admitted at that time that he did have his property and it was "in storage".

I was not made aware of this situation until this week. Since Ed is now living in a mental facility, my daughters and I were going through some of his belongings that were at his mother's house. We came upon the titles and keys for Ed's car and motorcycle, but had no idea where they were located. Ed's sister then mentioned to me about Josh. She told me to contact him since she knew he had all his other personal property, he might also have the car and motorcycle.

When I spoke to him, he is denying everything now. He says he doesn't know what I am talking about and knows nothing about Ed or his personal property.

His sister says he's lying and is also sure there was someone else involved at that time with removing Ed's personal property.

Since this is a HIPPA violation to the fullest extent, who can help me in convicting this person or persons. This guy needs to be thrown out of the medical field.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

This is more than a HIPAA violation (actually HIPAA only prevents disclosure of personal health information), it is quite possibly the crime of financial abuse of the elderly or mentally infirm and you need to contact the adult protection services as well as the state's attorney's office. Additionally, you need to get an attorney to represent Ed and you need to have them sue not only the attendant, but also the facility that he works for since their employee had no business taking property from a patient who was not mentally competent or stable at the time.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

This is NOT the practice of law nor is it legal advice to you, it is merely educational information for you to use to seek out a licensed attorney in your state to get actual legal advice from them. Please use sites such as or or to find a local attorney to get actual legal advice in all matters.
Law Educator, Esq. and 2 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

This person in question does not work at the same facility when this had occurred. He is still working as a healthcare professional but at another facility. Will this matter?

Thank you for your response.

Was the person working at the same facility at the time he was given the property?

How did he encounter Ed to get the property?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I believe "Josh" was working at the former facility where Ed was a patient when he was either one of Ed's caretakers or someone in charge when this all happened.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I believe "Josh" was working at his former workplace where Ed was a patient when he (Josh) was either one of Ed's caretakers or someone in charge when this all occurred.

Related Criminal Law Questions