How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 29797
Experience:  Criminal Justice Degree, JD with Criminal Law Concentration. Worked for the DA and U.S. Attorney.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

In 2007 Legal Resident was charged with domestic assault. His

This answer was rated:

In 2007 Legal Resident was charged with domestic assault. His case was dismissed and would like to go forward with an expunction of his criminal record.
Q: Must he include the homeland security agency and alike along with the usual law enforcement agencies i.e., Police, FBI,Sheriff,etc.
Q: In an expunction hearing if Legal Resident hires an Attorney can the Attorney present the case without Legal Resident's presence?

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

1. If he eventually applies for citizenship, he will need evidence that the charges were expunged. That means getting copies of all records before its expunged, getting the attorney to give all copies of documents filed, and records showing the expungement. But Homeland Security does not need to be notified of the request in advance. The Department of Public Safety is responsible for notifying all federal agencies after the record is expunged.

2. If there is a reason that the person cannot attend the hearing, the judge will likely allow the attorney to argue on his behalf without making him appear. This is fairly common, although a judge can order a person's presence.

If you have any questions or concerns about what I've written, please reply so that I may address them. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I provide. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so that I get credit for answering your question. Thank you.
Lucy, Esq. and 2 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you