Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney / Criminal Law Mentor
26296561

I gave a shop $7000 to paint and upholster a classic car for

I gave a shop $7000 to paint and upholster a classic car for me. Thirty days later he moved out of state having done nothing on the car. I was notified by the police that he had scamed at least two other parties out of another $35,000. and is thought to have left Las Vegas for Oregon. I went to Justice court and received a judgment against him.Can he be charged criminally if we can find him and how would I go about that. Thank you, Bill

Alex J. Esq. :

Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to help you.

Alex J. Esq. :

Are you online with me?

Dear Bill,

I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.

Did you file police report against this criminal scammer yet?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No . . The police told me this was a civil matter and would not let me file a police report.

Dear Bill,

Thank you for your follow up.

Did you have any written agreement with the person who was supposed to repair your car and how did you pay for the repair?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No agreement . Paid with two separate checks.

Dear Bill,

Thank you for your follow up.

Did the checks state what they were issued for?

What proof do you have of any type of agreement for service / repair with this person?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The two checks stated they were for he bodywork paintand upholstery for a 1956 cadillac eldorado.Work to be completed within 45 days.

Dear Bill,

Thank you for your follow up.

If this person who took your money for work that was never done, intended to steal your money from the begining and did the same thing to other people, then such conduct would constitute fraud or theft by deception and is a felony criminal offense.

I would suggest that you do go to your local police station and insist on police taking your report and forwarding it for an investigation to a detective. If the officer on duty refuses to take your report, then ask for a supervisor and insist on reporting this crimew.

Also you can contact your local District Attorney Office and file a report with them and ask the DA to review and investigate your report for potential criminal prosecution.

I wish you the best of luck!