Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

SEIZED RIFLE

I LIVE IN TEXAS. I...

I LIVE IN TEXAS. I CONSENTED TO A VOLUNTARY SEARCH BY SHERIFF'S OFFICE 2 WEEKS AGO AS THEY STATED THEY RECEIVED A COMPLAINT ABOUT DRUG USE AT MY HOME. IT WAS REDICULOUS AND I LET 4 OFFICERS SEARCH MY HOUSE. OF COURSE, THEY FOUND NOTHING BUT THE LEAD OFFICER SAW MY 30.06 WHICH I WAS CUSTOMIZING AND IT HAD A CHOPPED BARREL. THE GUN NEVER LEAVES MY HOUSE AND HAS NOT BEEN SHOT IN OVER A YEAR. I WANTED TO SHORTEN THE LENGTH IN INTERVALS AND TARGET AND RECORD ACCURACY LOSS AND THEN WRITE AND ARTICLE. THE OFFICER TOLD ME I COULD OFFER UP THE GUN AND IT WOULD BE DESTROYED OR I COULD BE ARRESTED. I GAVE UP THE GUN. IS THIS ALL LEGAL? THANKS. xxxxx xxxxxx, CORSICANA, TX

ps - I AM 60 YRS OLD AND RETIRED FROM CHILD PROTECTIVE SERVICES.  PERFECTLY CLEAN RECORD, VETERAN US NAVY, CORRECTIONAL OFFICER FOR 3 YEARS WHILE IN SCHOOL.  BS IN PSYCHOLOGY 6 YRS AGO.

10/22/2013
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Under the National Firearms Act, a rifle with a barrel less than 16 inches must be registered with ATF as a short barrel rifle. If your gun was less than 16 inches then it had to be on the National Firearms Registration and Transfer Records and in order to get the gun off of the registry you have to replace the barrel with one of appropriate length.

If the barrel was over 16 inches, you need to get a local attorney and file a petition in court for return of your rifle or at least get the attorney to negotiate for return with the agreement they can keep the short barrel and you will add a legal length barrel to the receiver.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

This is NOT the practice of law nor is it legal advice to you, it is merely educational information for you to use to seek out a licensed attorney in your state to get actual legal advice from them. Please use sites such as http://www.martindale.com or http://www.lexmundi.com or http://www.hg.org to find a local attorney to get actual legal advice in all matters.

It's been a while since this question but can you elaborate any more about a voluntary search and what police are and are not supposed to do? They were not here for a gun complaint. Can they just do whatever they want?

Thank you for your response.

On a voluntary search they can search anywhere they choose where any contraband or weapon can be hidden, which means they have pretty much no limitations at all. Once you give them permission, they can do what they choose. If you told them you changed your mind and to stop, they have to stop and get a warrant to continue searching.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer