How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CrimDefense Your Own Question
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27624
Experience:  10+ years defending Misdemeanor and Felony cases.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
CrimDefense is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was charged with a DUI in Hawaii, but the charges were dropped

This answer was rated:

I was charged with a DUI in Hawaii, but the charges were dropped since it was a federal involvement and I was in the process of going overseas. Now 9 years later with the company I'm with I moved to Minnesota and they will not give me a drivers license according to HI they say I need to pass a education course and pay a reinstatement fee why is this. Since I wasn't convicted
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.

Good afternoon. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. It is important to remember that there are often two potential suspension. The first is through the court and the other is an administrative suspension, through the DMV. As such, they are separate and apart. The administrative suspension occurs when you are first arrested and you would have needed to challenge and contest it at the time. If you did not, then the suspension would be imposed, through the State. The court could have suspended your license if convicted but since the case was dropped, no action was taken. With that being said, the previous suspension by the State, when you were arrested, is still what needs to be resolved and is why they are requesting you take the course and pay the fee.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So if I just previously did a course in Drug and Alchohol and received a certification for the class can I just forward or mail out that and pay the reinstatement fee

I would see if they would accept the class and certificate and if so, then you would just have to pay the fee to resolve this. Often times, the class has to be approved by them but if you took this out of State, they may allow it.
CrimDefense and 4 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you