How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Nate Your Own Question
Nate, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 10686
Experience:  Over 10 years of criminal defense practice.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Nate is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My sixteen year son has a previous battery charges x3, an open

This answer was rated:

My sixteen year son has a previous battery charges x3, an open armed robbery w/fire arm case and has recently violated probation curfew rules with a pick up order for recently leaving home for a month, was planning on turning self in but didn't do it straight away. Two days before turning self in he was picked from home in a car by friends while driving in the car they had a crash, after being in a car crash police was called he was picked up by the sheriff's office. I received only a recorded phone call notifying me that he is at the juvenile assessment center and is being charged with grand theft auto. He had the after arrest court date, Judge ordered 21days direct file review. What can be expected from this situation? Please, Thank you!
My name isXXXXX have been a licensed attorney for over ten years and will be assisting you today.

Punishments vary depending on the county when it comes to juvenile matters. The curfew violation and new charges certainly are harmful and make it nearly impossible to consider he would ever be considered for probation with all that is going on. Looking at everything in total, and considering the serious of the pending (and new charges), he very well is likely looking at a period of incarceration that may last until his 18th birthday.

I would suggest you keep trying to get hold of his lawyer you had been paying to arrange to continue payments. If you do not have the resources to do that, your son will be appointed a public defender by the juvenile court.

If you have more questions please feel free to ask. I'll be happy to answer them. If you do not, please do remember to rate my service in assistance to you today.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

how can he be charged for grand theft auto when the car had a driver already in it that came and picked him up?

Things snowball in criminal law. If you have a history and have pending charges and violations you never will get the benefit of the doubt from the state. Whether he is guilty of the new charge or not, it is still serious and impacts the district attorney's view regarding all of the pending cases.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'm sorry one more question, how does this point system work? he went from having no points to having 17 points. What can be expected from such result.

Points are determined after considering the child’s record, the type of crime charged, and a number of other factors set forth in Florida statutes. The severity of the charged crime, being accused of a crime while another charge is pending, and other factors are considered and add points. At intake all these factors are considered to determine the total points.

At the detention hearing, the judge will review the points assessment to ensure it is accurate.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

if he is incarcerated where would that take place, in prison or at the jail. do you think i's a good idea to switch to a public defender as a lawyer. After paying out $7500.00 I can't afford anymore. I'm sure the private lawyer will have to raise his fee/rate.

If you are tapped out, there's no other option, and that's what public defenders exist for in the first place - to defend those who cannot afford a defense.

Typically there is a specific juvenile detention facility where he would be kept, which is more like a jail than a prison.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'm so nervous for him. but this is the result of disobedience, I still don't wish him a hardcore prison/criminal life.
Thank you.

You are welcome. I hope things turn out as well as they can for him. Fortunately he is still a juvenile, where the consequences are not as serious and permanent. When he turns 18, that will change.

Please do remember to rate my service today before you go.

Thanks again,
Nate and 3 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you