How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Nate Your Own Question
Nate, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 10686
Experience:  Over 10 years of criminal defense practice.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Nate is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I would like to know if it is possible to get released from

This answer was rated:

I would like to know if it is possible to get released from probation at halfway through a probation term in Wyoming's Novotrona County (Casper) and Carbon County (Rawlins) and if so, what would be the requirements needed to accomplish that? This is for my son who was arrested in Carbon County for transporting Marijuana about 4 years ago and put on probation that was transferred to California for supervision. He subsequently broke his probation with a DUI in August 2011 and sent back to Rawlins. After a short period in the County Jail he was transferred to a halfway house in Casper. At that time he was told by the Public defender with witness by the DA that if he did not violate probation he would be released at halfway. He was released from the halfway house early and his assigned probation Officer reiterated that if he stayed in Wyoming for the probation, rather than doing interstate again that he would be released at that halfway point if he did not violate. He has been working for a concrete company since a week after getting to the halfway house until now (still there) about 20 months, and followed all rules or requests. He has taken care of monetary obligations, fines child support for 2 children in California, rent and other necessities and has become a productive citizen. Shortly befor the halfway point, early October he was transferred to another probation officer who has had very little communication with him, and did not seem to want to honor the early release as was put forth by the others involved. Too long - I hope not. Thanks for patience. Chuck
My name isXXXXX have been a licensed attorney for over ten years and will be assisting you today.

Does he still have contact with the attorney who originally represented him when he first got probation (and during the violation)?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

He has tried to contact the Public Defender that represented him and told him about the early release prospect, but the secretary who answered the phone call told him that that public defender would not be able to talk to him because he no longer represented him.

In that case, the family is going to have to hire someone to file a motion to terminate his probation. Public defender offices have different policies when it comes to following up after a plea or sentence has occurred. Legal aid typically does not address criminal matters, but this is a simple process and the expense should not be that high to file the motion to terminate.

I would suggest he consult the lawyer referral service in Wyoming to find someone. After a few referrals, he ought to be able to find someone who will file the motion for a minimal fee.

The lawyer referral service's information can be found here

If you have more questions please feel free to ask. I'll be happy to answer them. If you do not, please do remember to rate my service in assistance to you today.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks. Can you also tell me if half way is even possible in the Casper location. My son was told by some one that halfway was possible in Rawlins Carbon County, but not possible in Casper. Thanks

Each county is different with different rules and "traditions", for a lack of a better word.

However, in my experience, if one county has agreed to something, the second county tends to go along. I would suggest he first go to Rawlins Carbon and then take that result to Casper. That would be his best bet.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks again. I am intervenening for my son as he works 10 to 12 hours each day at his job and is not easily able to phone during the work week. Any suggestions on who to contact in Rawlins? Thanks, Chuck

We cannot offer specific referrals. Just use the link I provided to the lawyer referral service. They can provide possible options for him to use.
Nate and 3 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Criminal Law Questions