How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Loren Your Own Question
Loren, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 34472
Experience:  Former administrative hearing officer
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Loren is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I saw my son-in-law spank my granddaughter for spilling milk.

This answer was rated:

I saw my son-in-law spank my granddaughter for spilling milk. I knew he would spank her because he has spanked her for not eating, writing notes in school, etc. I talked to my doctor about it and he said I should have reported it. Recently a former police officer who lives in their neighborhood told my wife to report what we have seen to my granddaughter's school. Have we done the right thing in reporting it?
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am Loren and I will do whatever I can to answer your question and provide you excellent service.

I am sorry to hear of your dilemma. I realize how frustrating this is for you, but I believe I have information which you will find helpful.

If you believe that your granddaughter is in physical danger from the beatings and that they are serious enough to warrant your concern for her safety they you are perfectly justified in making the report.

If your motive is to punish or hurt your son in law then, perhaps, it was not the best course to take.

It is my privilege to assist you.  Let me know if you need further information.  I hope I have helped you beyond your expectations in the service I have provided to you.  I am here for you.

Since this forum is no substitute for your own legal counsel, you may want to verify the information I have provided with a local attorney who is familiar with your local laws and procedures.

I am happy to answer your follow-up questions and assist you until I am able to explain the answer to your satisfaction. 

Thank you.


Loren and 4 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you for your positive rating of my service to you and your generous bonus. Let me know if you need more help or have future questions. I will be here for you. Just ask for me by name at the start of your question - "Loren" or use the following link (which you can bookmark in your browser):

Best wishes and good luck to you.

If it is not too much trouble, Kenneth, when you receive a Customer Satisfaction Survey from JA/Pearl in a day or two, please consider rating me highly (9 or 10). It affects my ability to continue to assist you and other customers on JA/Pearl and would be most appreciated.  
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Loren, I have talked to the neighbors in the area, both husband and wife are in law enforcement, yesterday 12-31 and the husband, I believe he is an expert in profiling or something like it, observed my son-in-law to be a bad charector sometime ago. The wife asked what more should she do other than watch the situation. I told her to watch the situation. My cousin's daughter who worked for a county sheriff's department came to the same conclusion as to my son-in-law.

Can I take any course of action other than what I have done starting a investigation for child abuse?

There is not really any action you can take without alleging child abuse and triggering an investigation which could result in the granddaughter having to go into foster care, for a time, at least.

Loren and 4 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.



I have sent copies of documents between their lawyer and our lawyer law enforcement officials telling us to back off and our lawyer responding as these people want to further look into the situation. I believe I have done all that can be done. I wish more could be done as I have personally witnessed the child abuse and was told by my doctor that my wife and I should have reported it right away.


It does seem that you have done all you can and it is just a matter of keeping a close eye on things.

Best regards and good luck to you.