How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Samuel II Your Own Question
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27011
Experience:  Handle criminal matters in both state and federal courts.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Samuel II is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was stopped for not using my blinker. After handing him my

This answer was rated:

I was stopped for not using my blinker. After handing him my drivers license, registration and insurance. I was illegally detained. My vehicle illegally searched along with my friends purse. Then i was allowed to leave. Clearly i was being harassed. Is there anything i can do as far as being harassed? And to help prevent this officer from doing this to others?


My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to discussing this and providing information in this regard.

So how is it that the officer searched your vehicle? Did he ask to search it? What made him search the purse? Did he ask to do that?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

He told me to sit in his car while he checks on those three things. So i did as he ordered. Then he started lying to me. By telling me i have been smoking pot. Which i don't neither does my friend. And we haven't been around anybody that had. Nor anybody else has been in the vehicle. So i knew at this point I've fell prey to the horror stories I've heard. About the cop who says he likes to see how many vehicles he can search in a week. So i asked if i was being detained. Te said yes as he was exiting squad car. Then he walks over to my truck. Orders my friend out. Makes her stand in the ditch in the freezing rain with no coat on. While he completely ravishes through my truck and her purse as well. After about 20 min. He comes back to the squad car and he shows me a little stick or weed. It was about 1/2 inch in length and 1/16 inch thick. It was soaking wet. He tried telling me it was pot. But i don't believe it was. I just sat in his car quietly. Then he says It was probably my daughters. (That's who he thought my friend was). Then he says he's going to let me off with just a warning this time. I remained calm. Asked if i was free to go. He said yes. And he let me leave. My friend was soaking wet. And she was shivering terribly. I did not give consent to search neither did she. What can be done about this kind of harassment?


It is a terrible harassment.

I am not familar with your area, but I suggest you will first want to go to his supervisor and let him know what happened.

I also suggest that you could have a civil rights violation lawsuit and that you should consider consulting with a local attorney about that.

If there was nothing in plain site in the vehicle then he should never have searched it without a warrant.

I hope that this information is helpful. If you need further information, please just send me a reply asking for clarification. After that, I hope you will enter a positive rating so that I will be credited for assisting you. Thanks again for using this service. Your business is appreciated.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

There is only 1 civil rites attorney in the phone book here. and he's to booked. I have tried other attorneys. But they tell me i need a civil rites attorney. I would like to take this to court. But would rather not represent myself. Where do i turn to now? I will pay for an attorney. I just cant seem to find one.


Ok. I suggest you can try the ND Bar Association for a legal referral service.

Here is a link for that information. They can put you in touch with a civil rights attorney within the state who can assist you

The attorney does not have to be in the same county only licensed to practice within the state.

Samuel II and 3 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you Samuel II

I went to the link you provided (ND bar association / legal referral service). I paid the fee involved with the referral. In return I received a name and a phone # XXXXX for a civil rights attorney. I went to that law firms web site. There was no mention of civil. Plus i had seen that firm in my yellow pages. Like i say there is only one listed under civil rights and he's over booked. I'd like to add i have no offense to the firm ND referred. But i'm from a rather small town. If i'm going to take this on i'd like to minimize my mistakes. So i do not promote further harassment In the future. Are there any more avenues I can turn to. This officer drives around town at night with no lights on. Somebody's going to end up hurt. He really needs to be stopped. And everybody else is to afraid to speak up. What i'm saying is. I need to do this right or probably end up wishing I hadn't at all. Any and all options are much appreciated. Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Other.
I'm from a small town in ND. Although i'm not the only one getting harassed by this officer. I am the only one trying to resolve it. That is of course except for you. And without you suggesting options.. Well i guess I'd probably lay silent with the rest. Is there any where to turn?
[Stuck in a rut in North Dakota]