How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 102184
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am going through a divorce with kids and I met a woman online

This answer was rated:

I am going through a divorce with kids and I met a woman online that was a so called exotic dancer. She said she was 20 and her and her friends were looking for someone to hang out with for money and private dances and massages. I picked her and her friend up only once over 3 months ago and drive them to work at a strip club. At no point in time did we engage in any sexual behavior. After that what followed was about 3 months of texting games in which all kinds of things were discussed but never any pictures and we never followed through or met again. This person was constantly playing games and upping the price to well over 800 dollars to which I simply joked back and said no. Yesterday we were talking again and she said to come pick her up and we would meet for private massage and dances. As I picked her up she said she needed 250 dollars to pay back her brother and then we could go. I knew then I was in trouble but my idiot self gave in to her and she took the money went into her house and I never saw or heard from her again. She did not respond to any texts. I have never engaged in any type of sexual activity with this person. I'm just starting to worry that she might try something more with me. Will she go to the cops? Was it a sting of some kind? I'm not worried about the money I just want this to be over and never hear from it again. I made a stupid mistake because I was a sucker for the attention. I'm so scared that this is not over somehow and I'm going to lose my job and kids somehow. Or am I overreacting and did I just get robbed by a young stripper? Help
Hello friend. My name is XXXXX XXXXX welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (1) this is general information only, not legal advice, and, (2) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies.

I am very sorry for your situation.

Likely what happened is that you were the victim of scam. The woman flirted with you, got your attention, and got money from you.

It is unlikely that she would go to the police because it is she that committed civil and possibly criminal fraud, actually.

If this was a sting, you would have been arrested then and there. In addition, the money was in her own words for her "brother." In a sting, the undercover police officer would leave no room for doubt, so the request for money would be followed by an unequivocal explanation of what it is for, i.e. "Give me $250 and I will let you have sex with me."

So this is a private individual who is attempting to get money from you. Or rather attempted - we do not know if she would again. Now, there is an (unlikely) possibility that she can try to ask you for more money. Because she seems very manipulative, it is best to change one's telephone number and email and NOT TO REPLY to anything. After a few tries, she will give up and place her interests on another "mark." In a few days, this will all seem like a bad dream. It should be fine.

Gentle Reminder: Please use the REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE my answer when we are finished. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith. (You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.)
Ely and 2 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Criminal Law Questions