How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 30167
Experience:  Criminal Justice Degree, JD with Criminal Law Concentration. Worked for the DA and U.S. Attorney.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We bought our son a car for college. He went to college in

This answer was rated:

We bought our son a car for college. He went to college in North Carolina and now works and lives near Charlotte Nc. What do I have to do the transfer the title on the car to him, so that he can get the car registered and tagged in North Carolina. We live in Georgia.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

Do you have a loan on the car?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No the title is clear

Thank you. That makes it easier.

First, both parents sign and date the back of the title before a notary. You're considered the sellers, even if you're giving it to him. Your son is then listed as the buyer. Get the odometer reading from him if the car is less than 10 years old - that has to be listed on the title in GA. NC requires an odometer disclosure statement and other forms.

Then, you complete an Affidavit of Family Relationship (in case you need it). This is signed by all three of you before a notary.

Then, he can take the title in his name to the DMV in North Carolina and register the car in his name. They will issue a new NC title to him and get him a NC license plate. To register, he may need to bring evidence that he is enrolled in college in NC or other evidence that he lives there. However, it sounds like he's been living in NC for a few years, so that shouldn't be an issue. He also has to bring proof of insurance to the DMV before they will allow him to register the car and the vehicle has to pass a NC inspection. Then, there is an insurance form to be completed.

If you have any questions or concerns about what I've written, please reply so that I may address them. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I provide. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so that I get credit for answering your question. Thank you.
Lucy, Esq. and other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you