Roger, Lawyer
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

I live in Massachusetts. I have a 17-year-old daughter who

I live in Massachusetts. I have a 17-year-old daughter who has an 18-year old boyfriend.
The guy is a *real creep*, and he refuses to stop seeing my daughter. She even ran away for one night and slept over at his house. Can I file charges against him for possible statutory rape? If not, do I have any other legal option to keep him away from her until she reaches the age of 18?

Roger : Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a Criminal Law litigation attorney. Thanks for your question. I'll be glad to assist.
Roger : The age of consent in Mass. is 16 with regard to statutory rape statutes. Thus, if she is consenting to this, it's not not likely that he could be charged with rape.
Roger : A possible charge would be for contributing to the delinquency of a minor. Here's the statute: https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXVII/Chapter119/Section63
Customer:

Thank you for your response. Could you please answer the second part of my question:

Roger : The penalty for this is a fine of up to $500 and up to 1 year in prison.
Customer:

If not, do I have any other legal option to keep him away from her until she reaches the age of 18?

Roger : Yes, you would have the option of suing for contributing to the delinquency of a minor (I posted it above, but maybe it didn't upload).
Roger : Here's a link to the statute: https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXVII/Chapter119/Section63
Roger : This is a criminal charge, and the penalty is a fine of up to $500 and up to 1 year in prison.
Roger : If you're not able to see the posts, I can switch it to Q&A.
Customer:

Hi Roger, thanks! I will post a positive review. Would you mind helping me a bit more? Do they prosecute for things like this for "contributing to the delinquency of a minor" Or would I be wasting my money if I went forward with this? If I were to go forward with "contributing to the delinquency of a minor" do I just go the our local police station and file charges, or do I have to get a lawyer to file the charges for me? I just need to do whatever I can to keep this guy away from my daughter. What do you suggest????

Customer:

The 18-year old kid lives with his father who owns his home and has a construction company. I have documentation on the "find my Iphone" app that she has been to his home. Maybe I can tell the father that I can press charges against him, too. (My daughter is an senior in high school, all AP class, member of the national honor society. This guy is a covered from head to toe in tattoos. It is every parent

Customer:

it is every parent

Customer:

It is every parent's nightmare.

Yes, this is absolutely prosecuted. It's not a waste of time.

To do this, you would need to go to your county criminal court clerk and ask to make out charges against this person.
I've got 4 daughters, so I can totally relate.You can ask the judge for a restraining order in relation to the contributing to the delinquency of a minor charge.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Roger,

Thank you so much for your help! Could I also (perhaps) tell the father, that since they are shacking up at his home, I can also add him to the complaint?

It should be possible to charge his as well since his actions are also "contributing" to her delinquency.