How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Nate Your Own Question
Nate, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 10686
Experience:  Over 10 years of criminal defense practice.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Nate is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

in WI, can you file an appeal in a civil case on the grounds

This answer was rated:

in WI, can you file an appeal in a civil case on the grounds of ineffective counsel?
My name isXXXXX have been a licensed attorney for over ten years and will be assisting you today.

You mentioned that this was a civil case, but it is coming through in the Criminal Law category. What specific kind of case is it and what is it about?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

WI civil case ... I was plaintiff against couple whose home we bought ... bench trial in which Judge ruled against me but my atty also did not present Discovery-related evidence during the trial ... know that in criminal case, ineffective counsel is grounds for appeal but not sure about whether valid in civil case

Okay. Unlike criminal law, having a poorly performing lawyer in a civil matter is not grounds for appeal because there is no right to counsel under the law in the first place. Your remedy in a civil case where your lawyer does not perform up to standard is to actually sue the lawyer. Practically all civil attorneys have malpractice insurance, so you would be able to make a claim against that.

If he did not properly conduct discovery you would have a good case against him.

If you have more questions please feel free to ask. I'll be happy to answer them. If you do not, please do remember to rate my service in assistance to you today.

Nate and other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you