How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Samuel II Your Own Question
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27011
Experience:  Handle criminal matters in both state and federal courts.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Samuel II is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Last January I was sexually assaulted (touched inappropriately)

This answer was rated:

Last January I was sexually assaulted (touched inappropriately) by a fellow volunteer while working at the Burbank Animal Shelter. I reported the assault to the Burbank Police Department. They conducted an investigation, but concluded that they could not prosecute because the assault happened behind closed doors, with no witnesses present, therefore making it a “he said, she said” situation. Last week I received a letter from my attacker, sent via his attorney, demanding that I sign a false confession. He is threatening me to say that I lied about the assault and filed a false police report. He has given me ten days to sign, after which time he intends to sue me for substantial monetary damages. If I agree to sign the confession, he says he will let everything go and not sue. My husband has reported this to the police, but we have yet to hear back from them. The perpetrator sent the letter again yesterday. If I don’t give in to his demands, and he sues, we do not have the means to hire a defense attorney. This man is trying to force me to confess to something I didn’t do. Is this extortion? What can I do?

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to discussing this and providing you information in this regard.

Unfortunately it is not extoration. He would have a right to file a lawsuit for defamation of character. However, he would need to prove that deliberately lied to the police about what happened.

It seems that because there are no witnesses, he can file the suit and may win. Of course, I personally would never take a lawsuit for defamation unless I knew that the person being sued had assets to collect on.

I suggest that he can file the case, and he could win because it is your word against his. I know this is not what you want to hear, but I dont make or write the laws

I hope that this information is helpful. If you need further information, please just send me a reply asking for clarification. After that, I hope you will enter a positive rating so that I will be credited for assisting you. Thanks again for using this service. Your business is appreciated..
Samuel II and other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Criminal Law Questions