How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 102347
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Someone hacked my gmail account. I deleted the account. I

This answer was rated:

Someone hacked my gmail account. I deleted the account. I now have an email from "friend" admitting to the hacking. Can I go after them legally?
Hello friend. My name is XXXXX XXXXX welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (1) this is general information only, not legal advice, and, (2) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies.

I am sorry for your situation. The answer is yes.

To sue in a state court, one needs to have a "cause of action." There are numerous causes of action, such as "breach of contract," "negligence," "fraud," "unjust enrichment," etc., as well as causes of action rooted in statutory law. Every state has their own although they are very similar to each other in every state because they all stem from the same common law. A pleading in Court needs at least one cause of action, although it is not unusual to have more than one.

This may qualify as at least negligence per se as well as a few other causes.

NEGLIGENCE PER SE is a violation of a law by one that is meant to protect another. Butler v. Frieden, 208 Va. 352 - Va: Supreme Court 1967. This may be used as a civil action. Hacking is illegal in VA under Va. Code § 18.2-152.2, -152.3, -152.4, -152.5, -152.5:1, -152.6, -152.7, -152.8, -152.12, § 19.2-249.2.

Punitive damages may be requested for mean-spirited or harmful acts. TXO Prod. Corp. v. Alliance Resources Group, 419 S. E. 2d 870 (W. Va. 1992).

I hope this helps and clarifies. Good luck.

Gentle Reminder: Please use the REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE my answer when we are finished. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith. (You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you. That answers my question. I wasn't sure I still could since my email account is no longer active. Thank you again.


The answer is yes, you still can, provided that you can illustrate that this occurred. It may be a little harder if one's account is no longer active, but the email that serves as confession really helps the case.

Thank you again.

You are very welcome. Good luck, and please don't forget to rate my answer in one of top three faces and then SUBMIT – it is the only way I get credit for my time with you – or, please REPLY to keep on chatting – I want you to be satisfied.
Ely and 2 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you