Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

what is a possible sentence for giving a log of chew to an

inmate? i've had no offenses...
what is a possible sentence for giving a log of chew to an inmate? i've had no offenses in my past, and was unaware of my decision.
10/10/2013
Nate, Lawyer
My name isXXXXX have been a licensed attorney for over ten years and will be assisting you today.

Am I correct to presume you are a prison guard?

Also, have you been cited yet or has this yet to be discovered?

I am 20 and was just terminated by the golf course i worked at, the inmates took chew out of my pickup and smuggled it back on there van. (I was unaware of this) They then gave them my name for who gave it to them, and I didn't hand any of them tobacco. I have not been cited.

At most, you would be exposed to Introducing contraband in the third degree. That is defined under Washington law as

(1) A person is guilty of introducing contraband in the third degree if he or she knowingly and unlawfully provides contraband to any person confined in a detention facility.

(2) Introducing contraband in the third degree is a misdemeanor.

citation: http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9A.76.160

Of course, there are two reasons you would avoid prosecution. The first is that you did not do it "knowingly". The second is that the prisoners were not at that time "confined" in a detention facility.

You may have lost your job, but I would not expect this to a rise to a criminal matter. If it does go that far, you certainly have defenses as I have described.

If you have more questions please feel free to ask. I'll be happy to answer them. If you do not, please do remember to rate my service in assistance to you today.

Thanks!

I just got terminated today, and one inmate sent me 50 dollars for giving them chew, and i did not use the money towards chew. Will that result in anything different?

I wouldn't think so, but if you want to be ultra cautious, just send it back.

i don't have the check anymore i spent it on a hunting trip, do i just return a personal check?

If you've already used it, it's a little late to send it back. If it ever comes up just say you kept it in compensation for them stealing your chew.

I highly doubt anything will come of this. If anything were going to happen, it already would have happened.

Thank you for all of your help, and these were very helpful answers. They were searched Friday September 27th. It is in city officials hands to my knowledge, would you be able to put a percentage on the chance of being cited for my last question?

It's been two weeks. Every day that goes by makes it less likely. I would think if you don't receive anything in the mail in the next week you can safely completely forget about it.
Nate, Lawyer

Perfect thank you for everything.

Nate, Lawyer