Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

what is the RET FRD ORD

what is the RET FRD ORD
10/9/2013
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

RET FRD ORD means "retail fraud ordinance" in MI.

Michigan has three degrees of retail fraud: 1) first degree retail fraud which is where $1,000 or more stolen or if you have a prior conviction and get a 2nd degree retail fraud charge, which carries a penalty as a felony of up to 5 years in prison and/or $10,000 fine (or 3x merchandise's value); 2) Second degree retail fraud which is where $200 - under $1,000 stolen or if you have a prior conviction and commit a 3rd Degree retail fraud, which is a misdemeanor punishable by up to 1 year in jail and/or $2,000 fine (or 3x merchandise's value); 3) Third degree retail fraud which is where under $200 is stolen and this is a misdemeanor punishable by up to 93 days in jail and/or $500 fine (or 3x merchandise's value).

In addition to criminal penalties, MI also provides that a shoplifter may also be subject to civil penalties demanded by the store, including the full retail price of unrecovered property or recovered property that is not in salable condition, and civil damages of 10 times the retail price of the property, but not less than $50.00 and not more than $200.00.

See: MI Retail Fraud Ordinances.

As these are criminal offenses, you are entitled to an attorney and if you cannot afford one you can get a public defender and you should indeed show up with an attorney if at all possible.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

This is NOT the practice of law nor is it legal advice to you, it is merely educational information for you to use to seek out a licensed attorney in your state to get actual legal advice from them. Please use sites such as http://www.martindale.com or http://www.lexmundi.com or http://www.hg.org to find a local attorney to get actual legal advice in all matters.

Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer