How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 102357
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a pro se plaintiff in a 42 USC 1983 case. I need to obtain

This answer was rated:

I am a pro se plaintiff in a 42 USC 1983 case. I need to obtain the name of a specific police officer (for his testimony) with whom I spoke at police headquarters some time ago. Do I need to issue a subpoena, and if so what are the required steps?
Hello again friend,

One does indeed need a subpoena. A subpoena requests pertinent information from a third party by a party to the case. See here.

This type of subpoena may be filed to any third party and they would be ordered to produced that information by the subpoena itself. The controlling law is Federal Rule of Civil Procedure 45 et seq.

The standard procedure is to have a subpoena filled out and have the clerk stamp/sign/endorse it (if filing pro se) before sending it out via certified mail to the police station. If represented by counsel, most of the time, no prior stamping/signing/endorsing of the subpoena by the clerk is necessary prior to it being sent.

Gentle Reminder: Please use the REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE and submit your rating when we are finished.
Ely and other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you