How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey_ JD Your Own Question
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27467
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Zoey_ JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am being told I will be charged with 2 counts of fraud for

This answer was rated:

I am being told I will be charged with 2 counts of fraud for submitting a false diploma for school NOVA, is there a first time offenders program in Virginia? How can i avoid going to trial and being convicted of anything?

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a criminal attorney.

Virginia's does have a first offender program, but unfortunately it is for drug cases. That does not mean, however, that your lawyer won't be able to work out something favorable to you without that. Much will depend upon the facts and circumstances of your case and whether the prosecutor is interested in indicting this or reducing the charge. But your charge is non-violent and if this is your first contact with the criminal justice system, there are alternative possibilities Virginia offers such as a diversion dispositon, a stet docket, a deferral, a Suspended Imposition of Sentence, for which you may turn out to be eligible, any of which would allow you to come out of this case without trial and without having to carry around a conviction for the rest of your life.

So the best thing you can do for yourself is to get a lawyer as soon as possible and let him start negotiating early to keep your record clean if it is at all possible. With a charge such as this, in my experience, you'd generally be looking at probation as a worst case scenario, but to parlay that into something which will keep the charge off of your record, the sooner an attorney gets ahold of the prosecutor and starts to work for you, the better.
Zoey_ JD and other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you