Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

I was in the parking lot of my own business last night and

a police officer pulled in...
I was in the parking lot of my own business last night and a police officer pulled in and said to me, the last time I looked your license is barred and I seen you pulling off the road into the parking lot. He told me to put my hands on the hood of his patrol car and proceeded to arrest me for driving while barred. He did not read me my miranda rights. He simply just took me to jail. He said he has been watching my property and waiting for the right time to catch me.
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/8/2013
Ely, Counselor at Law
Hello friend. My name is XXXXX XXXXX welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (1) this is general information only, not legal advice, and, (2) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies.

I am sorry for your situation. What exactly are you asking here? Whether anything he did was wrong? Also, did you in fact drive into the parking lot?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.

yes, I believe he was basically stalking me and did not have the right to come onto my property.

Marc,

Thank you.

On this website, I do not always get to give good news, and I am afraid that his is one of these times.

1) Police officers are allowed to execute surveillance. They do not need a warrant to watch someone in public. Because they are not observing you in the home, or wiretapping you, etc, no warrant is necessary (as the road is a public space). So a police officer can watch/observe/tail you all they want here.

2) If a police officer witnesses a criminal act, they have the right to come unto private property for the purpose of an arrest.

3) Not being read Miranda Rights does not nullify the arrest. Now, if the officer did not read one's rights, whatever was said by you at the time of the arrest and possibly even later may be thrown out of Court by your defense attorney, making the prosecutor's case harder. State v. Turner, 630 NW 2d 601 - Iowa: Supreme Court 2001 (general discussion). However, the Miranda Rights reading (or absence thereof) does not void an arrest, but simply makes whatever stated by Defendant possibly inadmissible in Court for prosecution. But the arrest itself is still valid.

I am sorry.

Please note: I aim to give you genuine information and not necessarily to tell you only what you wish to hear. Please, rate me on the quality of my information and do not punish me for my honesty. I understand that hearing things less than optimal is not easy, and I empathize.

Gentle Reminder: Please use the REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE my answer when we are finished. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith. (You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.)
Ely, Counselor at Law
Ely, Counselor at Law