How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 31770
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am charged with obstruction in a few different counties.

This answer was rated:

I am charged with obstruction in a few different counties. My lawyer sent them a letter saying that he will accept the service papers. Are those just the papers saying what the charges are?

Roger : Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a Criminal Law litigation attorney. Thanks for your question. I'll be glad to assist.
Roger : Yes, your lawyer is just accepting process on your behalf instead of you having to be served individually.
Customer: Ok
Roger and other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi -

I saw you made a post, but there's nothing here. Did you have another question?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no that wasnt me sorry

No problem. Just making sure you didn't need anything else.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Just found out I have court on November 4th is the initial appearance. That's just where I plead right? And since I was never arrested for this incident I will probably be arrested

That's right. The initial appearance (also called the arraignment) is when the charges are formally made against you and the judge will ask if you pleads guilty or not guilty.

Also, the judge may order that you post bond to remain out, etc.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

One more question. If I am arrested in the court room on Monday, my parents or lawyer can post bond that day right? sorry I have never been charged with a crime without being arrested first. And I am just scared

Yes, that should be possible.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

alright thanks

Sure. You can consult with your lawyer, but it certainly shouldn't be an issue to bond out the same day.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I kind of figured that because it is only misdeanor charges but just wanted to double check

Understood. Please let me know if you need something further.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

one more question I go for intial appearance tomorrow. my dad is coming with me and wants to know if I will be hand cuffed in court? could ask my lawyer he was gone last week


It's not likely for a misdemeanor offense - - especially if you're not in custody. But, if the judge orders that you be arrested, you could be placed in handcuffs for a short time.

You could likely ask your lawyer and get him to try and work something out with the prosecutor.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok thank you

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok I am really confused right now initialy I was suppose to have an intial appearance today for one of the counties but last week my lawyer told me it was adjourned to jan. 27th. Well it turns out I that something happened and I guess the court must of not known that.


So I got the call on break isaying I missed court. so I went on ccap to see whats going on this is what it said


10:14 a.m. No appearance by the defendant. Kyle Sargent for the State of Wisconsin. Court orders a warrant and stays for ten days to make contact with the defendant. Court adjourned at 10:15 a.m.


then it said

Courtesty warrant letter sent to Defendant to respond on or before January 2, 2013, or a warrant will be issued.

my question is do I have a warrant now or will I after January 2?

Hi Sami -

The the court ordered a warrant and then STAYED it for 10 days. January 2nd is likely the 10 days when you count the weekend and holiday vacation days. But, it doesn't sound like you would have a warrant until January 2nd.

Also, if your attorney told you that the case was continued until 1/27, then this may be moot - - it may be an automatic mailing if someone fails to appear. Thus, you just need to consult your lawyer about this notice and make sure if you need to respond to it by 1/2 or if you can disregard it.

However, currently it doesn't look like there's been a warrant issued for you due to the stay.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok thanks

Sure. No problem.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

last night the police were sent to my parents house after I supposly called 911 last night. Can they charge me with obstruction? or any crime for miss use of 911?

Or is that up to my po?


Prank calling 911 is illegal, and can be a minor/misdemeanor offense. If charges were filed it could be a basis to revoke probation.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok I guess I just to wait and see if they

file charges. I don't even remember doing it

That's really all you can do at this juncture.